Saturday, October 11, 2008

E-Teacher Meetings, October 6th-8th

This week from Monday to Wednesday we had our Fall F2F meeting of all our E-teachers and staff with the Centre for Distance Learning and Innovation (CDLI). We started on Monday at 1 pm. The first session was a smartboard presentation by 3D datacomm and it was OK. The SMARTboard is not an overwhelming piece of technology. Some feel the power comes from the notebook software. I think the power comes from the creativeness of the user. Yes, Notebook helps.

For the second session we did a videoconference with a teacher from the Alberta Distance Learning Centre (ADLC) through SMART's bridge-it software. Not as smooth as I would like to see it but impressive nonetheless. The last hour on Monday was dealing with "2nd Life". I actually saw a lot of application to my classroom for this avatar based "fantasy world" building concept. I have been highly interested in desktop virtual reality since my Master's of Education program in Information Technology. Interesting possibilities here. HMMMMM!

Tuesay, October 7th was a darker day for me personally since tragically one of my students in my math 2205 class was killed in a car accident. I taught his brother last year and he was also hurt. But he made it through and will be fine. Emotionally he will have a great struggle due to the loss of his brother. My thoughts are with the Gale family.

No comments: